Carbon monoxide is a silent, deadly killer when it goes undetected in large amounts in homes and business. When you buy a new home, you will definitely want to strongly consider getting a carbon monoxide detector with proper monitoring for this gas. Carbon monoxide can kill people and pets in a matter of minutes when it is present in high amounts. The gas is formed whenever common fuels like gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal are burned and consumed via various home appliances. If you have a stove or heating device that is not properly sealed, malfunctioning, or you are not using the appliance properly, this type of gas can build up in your home. Since the gas is odourless and you can’t see it in the air, carbon monoxide detection should be a priority in homes.
Carbon monoxide detector properly installed and maintained will help you avoid death and all the symptoms that come with carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include bad headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea, and feeling faint. If you begin to experience any of these systems while in your home, including systems that might mimic or just seem like typical flu-symptoms, you may have a carbon monoxide leak and you should immediately get outside for some fresh air.
If you are experiencing carbon monoxide symptoms and your carbon monoxide detector has indicated you have a problem, you must immediately turn off all appliances or combustion devices, open all your doors and windows, and get out of your home as soon as possible. You should go immediately to a doctor who can evaluate your condition. Make sure you also take any family members or guests with you to the doctor who may be experiencing similar symptoms because they were in your home with you.
Some of the ways you can compliment your carbon monoxide detection system are simply basic, preventative measures you take in your home. For instance, do not operate certain devices in your home that create carbon monoxide, like grills or unvented gas and space heater. You also want to make sure you don’t leave your car running in your garage with the doors closed, especially if one of the doors connects directly into your home. Fumes can build up very quickly. Remember also that you need to operate your appliances properly and not depend just on your carbon monoxide alert system.